From Pinterest to Architectural Digest, nearly every media outlet and website focusing on interior design and home décor points to the use of natural materials and inspiration as being one of the most popular themes of the moment.
What’s interesting to note about natural-inspired décor selections is that while it may seem like a trend, the use of natural elements or items inspired by nature isn’t likely to go out of style—it’s a design decision that’s timeless and enduring in many cases.
For homeowners interested in incorporating a dose of nature into their design, here are six creative ways to do just that:
- Consider the creation of a feature wall utilizing natural materials. One idea is to use a natural stone slab to create an elegant, eye-catching and one-of-a-kind feature wall in a room. Another way would be to select a material such as brick or reclaimed wood to design a feature wall.
- Choose furnishings made from materials like bamboo, wicker or wood. These types of furnishings not only tend to be well-made, but it’s also possible to find options that are constructed from renewable and sustainable materials so a home not only boasts nature-inspired style but also eco-friendliness.
- Natural stone countertops are, of course, a great way to include naturally occurring elements in a home, but many homeowners are now taking that a step further and using kitchen and bathroom countertops made from agate and gemstones. For something more dramatic, consider an option like the Natura Collection by Antolini which incorporates pattern inspiration found in nature such as flora and animal print as part of the stone detail.
- Bring the outdoors in. This can be accomplished in a number of ways—for example tying together an outdoor entertaining area with the rest of the home and selecting materials that create a cohesive design concept both inside and out. Another way to do this is to keep window coverings minimal so they allow for the enjoyment of the outdoors and natural light while indoors.
- Bathrooms are a great spot in a home to include nature and there are so many ways to do so. From adding live greenery walls in a bathroom to using river rocks on shower floors, the bathroom is one of the primary places many designers and homeowners are experimenting with bringing the outdoors inside. For people worried about a bathroom feeling too rustic or lodge-like, pair natural elements with something sleeker and more streamlined to keep the feeling luxurious—for example, utilize a modern bathroom vanity countertop option in a contemporary color to juxtapose the texture and rustic feel of design elements like wood and greenery.
- Accessorize with nature in mind. From a container of shells located on a guest bathroom vanity countertop to the addition of floral arrangements, the possibilities of including nature through the selection of accessories are nearly limitless.
These are just a few of the many ways homeowners can bring the things they love about the outdoors into their homes. Ultimately, it’s about choosing materials and details that give a sense of peace, are utilitarian as well as beautiful and that are going to stand the test of time.